Although you might be focused on working hard while at work, a different way of approaching your work tasks is to work smart. The smarter you are about the work you do, the more likely you are to maximize your income.
Promotions, raises, and lucrative career opportunities come more often to those who work smart.
If you want to stand out at work, apply these suggestions for working smart:
- Keep your mind open to learning new software and new methods for old tasks.Working smart means you’re willing to learn something new that will eventually save you time and trouble.
- It might take a time investment to learn something new, but the payoff will be worth it.
- Observe the co-workers whose work you respect.Learn by watching.
- Notice what these co-workers do that you don’t. Take note of the differences in how they perform from your own approach to a task.
- Learning to do what your respected co-workers are doing might earn you a raise or promotion sooner than you think!
- Ask questions to clarify any work-related issues or confusion.Avoid feeling “out of the loop” of communication at work.
- Get the information you need right away – beforeyou work on a task.
- Listen to what your supervisor and co-workers are saying. To work smart, it’s necessary to have a clear understanding of what’s important to them.
- Become indispensable at work.If you know how to perform your co-workers’ jobs and can fill in doing their tasks whenever they’re absent, you’ll demonstrate to your supervisor how important you are to the company.
- After all, can he really afford to lay you off if you can fill in for every worker in the place?
- Plus, the ability to do the tasks of others means you truly have a grasp on your workplace and how it functions.
- Be honest about what you can and can’t do.Working smart is not saying ‘yes’ to everything but, instead, judiciously using your time to do your best work.
- Be ready for your workday.Get plenty of rest, prepare for your day, and manage your energy and effort to be alert and efficient while you’re at work.
- Is your desk and office in good order?Working smart means you have ample work areas, order and organization in your space and can easily put your hands on that file that you might quickly need.
- Think it through before you do a project.Take a few minutes to cogitate over the task at hand. Plan your work and work your plan.
- What’s the purpose of the project?
- What are the goals you’re working for?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- One of Steven Covey’s Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is especially helpful: “Begin with the end in mind.”Visualize how you want the project to proceed before you begin. That is truly working smart.
Although working hard is admirable, make it a point to work smart. Being open to new ways of doing tasks, making yourself indispensable at work, and thinking through work tasks before you tackle them are all smart ways to ensure you boost your income!